Board index Simulación Aérea DCS: World DCS: WW2 Europe 1944

DCS: WW2 Europe 1944

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:50 am
Silver_Dragon User avatar
Expert Member
Expert Member

Viene del post en el antiguo foro: http://www.aviadoresvirtuales.org/index ... 15&catid=6

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... sts/755666
Friday February 21, 2014 Development Update – The Importance of Planning Ahead
2 comments Liked 16 likes
Afternoon gentlemen!

Sorry, I was traveling back home last weekend, had to skip out on the update.

This Friday, my usual practice of selecting something to show on Friday morning proved very near-sighted. My plan to show the Bf.109 as it is in the engine came to a screeching halt.

As DCS WWII is part of the general DCS development environment, a bug introduced on Thursday made the entire environment look off. Very off. Everything is black and shiny.

I have screenshots and I’m still not sure what’s worse, to show them or not to show them.

This is pretty normal for a development environment, that’s what keeps it less tedious and gets the developers chuckling, but I’m not sure if publicly showing silly bugs, especially someone else’s bugs, is really appropriate.

Basically, imagine the entire game world covered with black lacquer, and you’ll get the rough idea of what everything has looked like for the past two days.

Perhaps, the best solution is to keep these for now, then do a non-Friday update early next week once the bug is fixed, where we can show what the bug looked like, and what it looks like with the bug fixed and the cockpit systems working.

Other than that, the work is progressing. The two-man team making the Bf.109 are ticking off their tasks. The systems programmer is currently finishing up the FuG 16ZY implementation, and the aerodynamics programmer is doing the MW 50.

The best bit of news for this week is that the web programmer our team is sharing with a lot of other development tasks has finally jumped back onto our web interface, the work that had lay dormant for some time. He’s been doing nothing but our stuff since Monday. I’ve made some overly optimistic predictions before, so I won’t today, but the plan is to stay on the task until it’s complete and released to the public.

On the Fw 190D-9 front, we’ve hit a bit of an unexpected barrier. While we have gigabytes of original factory documents on this aircraft, as it turns out, some of the less important systems just don’t have a good enough technical description in any of the sources available to us. It was a lot easier with the P-51 because we had access to a living breathing aircraft and to the men who fly it. With the Dora, we don’t have that luxury.

We have a list of about a dozen questions on things like the circuit breaker panel and the oxygen system and info plates like deviation tables and Baumusterkartes. We need to have one last internal discussion Monday, and then we’ll probably post these publicly. Hopefully someone in the community will have some rare bit of knowledge that we don’t that will allow us to close that final tiny gap in our references.

On a final note, several of our external team members are located in Kiev, Ukraine. I’ve been to that beautiful city many times. Clean, green, always pleasant, wonderful people, great food. One of the few cities in the world I’m always glad to visit, always sad to leave. I was actually looking forward to flying down there for a couple of days this trip, and I’m absolutely crushed by the recent events. It breaks my heart to see the streets I’ve often walked on fire.

I really hope that somehow, some way, the situation will deescalate, things will come down, and people will stop dying in the streets. How incredible to even be writing these words.

Let’s all hope for a speedy resolution to this crisis.
More news to the front

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 am
Expert Member
Expert Member

FW-190D-9

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=121101
Hello,

I'm writing a manual for DCS Fw 190D-9. It's generally finished; however there are some holes in the historical reference we have. Some of the more obscure systems are not very well described at all, or at least, not in the way that we need to properly model them in a flight sim.

Here's my list.

1. Is there any info on the technical specs of the boosted controls?
By looking at the blueprints we can easily see the simple mechanism, but we need numbers. Is there anything like a graph or a text that says that for x degrees of control deflection you get y degrees of surface movement?

2. Same question for the engine's Bediengerät. Are there any numbers on it, precise data, as in, for an input of x, the device outputs y?

3. We cannot find good info on MW-50 Controls. Where is the On-Off switch? What does it look like (assuming Fl 32350). What about the MW-B4-Selector?

4. How does the Notzug system interact with the MW-50 system?

5. Is there the Auto-Hand Luftschraube switch with the corresponding rocker switch on the throttle, as on the earlier variants?

6. We could use more info on the pull-out Kuhlerklappen handle. When was it used? What effect did the flaps have? Was it in any way connected with the Bediengerät?

7. Is there a good quality hydraulic system diagram anywhere?

8. We need better info on the circuit breaker on the right console. What were all the buttons? What were the standard captions for each?

9. We need better oxygen system info: tank capacity, which order the tanks were used in, approx. oxygen supply at different altitudes.

10. Some references have the left console with only one FuG 16 ZY frequency dial, while others have a second one next to it.
The first one we’re clear on, but the second one – the FuG 16 ZY Handbuch does not seem to mention it, but it's right there in the aircraft Ersatzteilliste. We have no idea what the switch does.

11. The Frequency dial – what do the frequencies actually do?
The I position is for Y-Führungsfrequenz, or Management frequency.
The II position is for Gruppenbefehlsfrequenz, or Group Order frequency.
The ∆ position is for Nah-Flugsicherungsfrequenz, or the Air Traffic Control frequency.
The □ position is for Reichsjägerfrequenz, or Reich Fighter Defense Frequency.
That we're clear on. What they were used for however, we need more info on that.

12. The frequency dial and the AD 18 switch – what in the world does it affect? What's E-Messbetrieb? What's Zielflug-Anzeige? How did they actually work? What were the cockpit procedures?

And why does the FuG-16 Handbuch only list interactions with AD 18 for Frequenzschalter in positions I and II, and nothing about ∆and □?

13. What did the earphone plug look like?

14. What did the Flugzeugvernichter button look like? A cockpit diagram from the Lehrmittel appears to show it as an actual cockpit control on the right console.

15. What did the Dora's “Hinweisschild u.Bauteilschild” look like?

16. What did the Dora's Baumusterkarte look like?
More news to the front

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:28 am
Expert Member
Expert Member

Update #30 WW2

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... sts/770277
Friday March 07, 2014 Development Update – We're Getting THere
6 comments Liked 17 likes
These regular updates are really hard to do when you’re in pre-alpha. If there’s one thing I learned during this project, it’s that there really was a very good reason for the industry standard to announce and market projects after they’re ready and playable.
I yearn for the days of yore when I could just boot up a game, set up a quick scenario, snap a bunch of action screenshots, and be done with a Friday update in an hour.

Actually, I yearn for the day of even yore-er yore. Seems like it was just yesterday when I could say, hey, I’d like to fly plane X. And a month or so later I’d be flying it. It’s only been, what, 10 years since that was the case. Of course, there’s no going back to that. Even the simplest flying games of today probably can’t do an airplane in a month. I myself can barely stand to look, much less to fly, airplanes from 10 years ago. But I am still a bit sad about all the work that goes into the extra quality. If you were to draw a graph on work hours vs simulation quality, the line grows exponentially.

And while you’re here, close but not quite at the self-imposed 100%, progress is very hard to show.

First of all, here’s where we are with the backer rewards section. We really tried to have it operational last Friday, but internal testing showed that once again we had a logical flaw for larger reward tiers with more than one copy of a stock plane selected. Had to drastically redo the flyable selection this week. Lost all the prettiness and ended up with a painfully simple design, but at least it works.

I guess the page is ready for the world, we just have one final task: to merge the kickstarter and paypal database of backers with the DCS site member list, the hardest part of which is dealing with accounts for backers that do not currently have a digitalcombatsimulator.com user profile.

On the aircraft front, we finally do have a delay on one aircraft model, the P-47 external. We had a long unpleasant saga with trying to get high-quality original blueprints for it last summer. That took longer than anticipated, and what we got was not as thorough as we needed. Once we finally got into animating all the bits and pieces of the aircraft, we’ve realized that our data was not good enough, and that some parts would go out of alignment when moved. We had to go chasing pixels, and start fitting parts back together, animating, measuring, refitting, and trying again. This, again, goes back to my earlier point about standards. In an older game, we’d never care that an aileron slightly clips through the wing when fully deflected. We wouldn’t care that a gear strut does a physically impossible warp a few inches to the side in order to move to the down and locked position. And so with DCS, we have to go and make sure every movement is absolutely perfect, spending more time on these details than on the entire model in an older project.

The 109, our flagship, the pinnacle of our hopes and desires, is still a bit shiny everywhere. Not nearly as bad as two weeks ago, but it still fluctuates. Graphics programmers are slowly but surely moving DCS over to DX11, and it’s a process.

The choice for me is extremely painful - show nothing, or show something that does not look great.

Shiny!

From switch to shining switch

The cockpit programming is complete. All the gauges and switches and systems are working, except, annoyingly from the point of a Friday update, you cannot see it in the cockpit yet. We can see it all in debug mode. However DCS cockpits are done in a peculiar complex way, different from what we’re used to from before, and a programmer cannot simply tell a certain needle to rotate a certain number of degrees. As it is during most of the process, the cockpit mesh is a monolith. In our previous projects, we would simply make each moving part a separate object with a pivot, and the programmer would move that object about that pivot when needed. In DCS, we have to do a lot more work on cockpit animations, doing them manually, and we’re still waiting for them to be complete.

In the meantime, all the gauges gauge, and the switches operate all the systems, the radio talks, the AFN2 guides you to airfields (the only objects at the moment you can guide to), everything works, and this would have been a great time to make a cockpit procedures video, except you can only see all of that happening in debug readouts and not in the cockpit 3D model.

So, since I’ve made too many overly optimistic predictions in the past, I won’t this time. I will only say that it’s very frustrating for me to write these kind of updates, that I really want to have a fully functional plane I can take for a spin and screenshot away, and that we really are tantalizingly close.
More news to the front

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm
Expert Member
Expert Member

Updace 32# WW2
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... sts/787617
The Backer Rewards Section is Finally Here – in Beta
Comment Like
Well, it took way, way more blood and guts than anyone could ever imagine, but we finally have it.
If you’re a project backer, you can manage your rewards here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/e ... al/backer/

We also have a closed Backers forum here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=326

This is currently in beta – feel free to play around with this as much as you like.

Please note that this only shows the rewards from the rewards matrix.

Anticipated problems:

Log-in and email mix-ups;
Wrong reward selection;
Wrong tier selection;
Bad logic when selecting eclectic reward combinations.
Missing features:

Not currently showing Completed Rewards for those of you who have already received your product keys;
Not showing non-matrix rewards for higher tier backers, such as custom aircraft paintschemes.
Here’s how this works.

Whether you backed on kickstarter or via paypal, you should be able to use this system.

Please note that the DCS site requires two separate logins, one for the site, and the other for the forums.

The Backer section is linked to the email address you used for your pledge.

If you already have a digitalcombatsimulator.com account linked to that email, you should be able to log in and immediately use the Backer Rewards page.
If you do not have a digitalcombatsimulator.com account linked to that email, please create one. It will give you access to all features on the site, including the Backer Rewards page.
If you already have a digitalcombatsimulator.com account linked to a different email address, unfortunately we do not have an automated way to deal with that. Please email dcswwii@eagle.ru from the email address currently on your DCS profile (not the kickstarter backer email address) and let us know which email address you used to back the project. We’ll be changing the backer email address to your DCS account email address (not the other way around).
Same goes for the forums.

If you already have a forums.eagle.ru account, and it uses the same email you used to back the project, you should be able to log in and get access to the backer forum automatically.
If you do not have a forums.eagle.ru account, create one with the same email you used to back the project, and you should get access to the backer forum.
If you already have a forums.eagle.ru account, but it uses a different email address than the one you used to back the project, unfortunately we do not have an automated way to deal with that. Please email dcswwii@eagle.ru from the email address currently on your forum profile (not the kickstarter backer email address) and let us know which email address you used to back the project. We’ll be changing the backer email address to your forum account email address (not the other way around).
Now, if you are using one email for the digitalcombatsimulator.com account and a different email for forums.eagle.ru, then unfortunately we won’t be able to link them. You’ll have to create a new account with a matching email address in one place or the other.

We'll be adding the missing features in the next couple of days. Hopefully no serious issues will be found in beta, in which case we'll be going live ASAP.

For any issues, please post in the Backer Forum, or email dcswwii@eagle.ru.
More news to the front

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:43 am
Expert Member
Expert Member

Update #34 WW2
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... sts/808060
Update #34 Apr 11 2014
Friday April 11, 2014 Development Update – The Two Messerschmitts
4 comments Liked 23 likes
Hello folks,
Ooh, how the time flies, another Friday already? My job is the least predictable of all in the project it seems. I tend to have a huge variety of tasks in my lap, all with five alarm bells ringing, and with no one to give them to. I’ve spent all week doing emergency translations and documents. Doing that while also trying to be a single father to two young kids means that there’s literally no time for anything, especially sleep.

When Friday comes around, Friday morning my time, Friday evening Moscow time, that means a very sudden silence. The kids go to their mother, and there’s no urgent work that has to be completed by tonight – Moscow’s off until Sunday night my time.

Then it’s time for me to relax, sit back, and write a Friday update – and after that, most incredible of all, I can finally go and catch up on some z’s.

Work-wise, we’re moving ahead full speed getting the 109 to a stable alpha stage. Tasks are getting smaller, while the results are becoming a lot more noticeable. We’ve spent all week on the cockpit, on animating the gauges (about a third of all objects now move properly), recording new sounds for Dora and Kurfurst, completing an authentic electrical system, writing out the entire set of keybord shortcuts for the K-4 mostly based on the Mustang. Runway take-offs are finally nice and straight.

The new render is still a bit wacky, and that’s completely outside our control, ED guys are putting crazy hours into it as well.

So, the best we can show on screenshots is a couple of interior shots with needles properly pointing at things other than zeroes.

Also, here’s where we are with the Me.262 external. Hope you guys have a great weekend!

More news to the front

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 pm
Expert Member
Expert Member

WW2 Update
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... sts/815537
Friday April 18, 2014 Development Update – Landing the 109

Hey everyone,
Here’s some more on the Bf 109K-4.

We’re pretty much done with the cockpit and external animations. The last remaining set of cockpit tasks should take no more than 2-3 days; plus we’ve compiled a final list of fixes and updates needed to the cockpit and external models based on internal testing, which should take no more than 10 days or so for the modeler to implement.

We’re having an internal discussion on what exactly to consider an alpha stage for the 109. Obviously we owe our backers an alpha version. My own feeling is that we’re pretty much at alpha, while some at ED feel that this is very far from a version that can be given out. Next week, our plane will look like a 109, sound like a 109, and all the gauges and internal systems will operate as those of a 109. However it will not fly exactly like a 109. The engine model and the aerodynamic model is what takes the most time to perfect in DCS.

We’ll have another big internal discussion on this on Monday.

For now, here’s some screenshots of some more cockpit animations, working AFN2, and a near-perfect three-point landing.

(please note that the new render is still in development, so you're seeing some glitches in trees and shadows and other components)

More news to the front

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 pm
Expert Member
Expert Member

Update 36 WW2
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/50 ... sts/822941
Hello folks,
Today’s update is a small miracle.

By late night Moscow time, as we decided to take some screenshots, we realized that the game’s WIP render stopped working for everyone. Programmers responsible had already gone home hours before. I began writing an apologetic update, and then, somehow, someway, our ingenious junior aircraft programmer managed to get the game working on his machine.

So, I’m very happy to present to you the 109 in combat.

(please note that his version of the 109 has many animations not working, such as landing gear and propeller arc, and has a lot of other system stuff showing. We decided not to mess with his development environment because time is very precious)

On the development front, most of the tasks this week had to do with the cockpit and the sound. The 109 is beginning to sound very mean and very authentic. Our wonderful sound engineer also wrote an incredibly rousing theme for the 109, but I won’t be posting it just yet. The wonderful composer, talented but naïve in the ways of the world, submitted the latest version with a background sound effect of a certain historical leader reading a speech to a rousing roar. We’ll make sure it is removed of course, but this being late Friday night in Moscow, it won’t happen today.

Other than that, the tasks remaining for the 109 are, in that order: finalize and test cockpit procedures; finalize sound; DB 605 engine tuning for medium and high altitudes; finalize manual; overall testing; finalize external animations; finalize damage model visuals; finalize flight performance; create game interface.

The plan will likely change, especially in the smaller sub-tasks that I am not listing for each major step. However, the first two tasks (sound and cockpit) should complete next week, and DB 605 tuning, unless something goes horribly wrong, should take be done, well, so quickly that I cannot even force myself to write out the task duration publicly. And then, ladies and gentlemen, we’ll just need to test this here thing for serious and crash bugs for as long as it takes that to ensure they do not exist.

The biggest task for the coming days for me personally is to finish up the 109 manual. There’s not much work to be done, just write out all cockpit procedures and make sure all the buttons and checklists are correct. Shooting to have the manual finished by, oh, May 10th.

I’ll wrap this up with a couple of beaaautiful diagrams done for the 109 manual by our very talented graphic artist.

The manuals are looking very spiffy. Cannot wait to see them in print!

Have a great weekend!
More news to the front

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:53 am
Expert Member
Expert Member

Noticia importante de DCS: World WW2 Europa 1944
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2 ... ostcount=1
June 2014 Update

We would first like to apologize for the long delay in projects updates. Since the last update from Luthier, there have been some significant changes in how this project will be developed and managed. No longer will RRG be developing this project and Luthier has ceased his involvement in the project. Eagle Dynamics though will be continuing its development and honor all Kickstarter backer commitments. There is nothing more we can say about this change and it is not open for discussion.

We will be restructuring the DCS WWII: Europe 1944 forums to reflect this.

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 is still planned as a single-package option, or users can purchase individual components to integrate into DCS World.

Myself and Groove plan to provide monthly updates.

As a basic outline, here are our current development intentions:

August 2014 – Fw 190 D-9 Dora
October 2014 - BF-109K
December 2014- Spitfire IX
March 2015 - P-47D-28
May 2015 - Normandy Map with period AI units
Other features like the Me.262A-1 and AI-only B-17G are also in development we but do not have a delivery data estimate at this time until these other features are further along.

In the meantime, Groove and our moderator SiThSpAwN are working to make sure that all backers, based on their level of backing, receive their entitlements.

We fully realize that you probably have many unanswered questions. We are in the process of answering those internally first, and once we do, we will update you.

In this update, we can share some updated images of the Fw 190 D-9 and Bf-109K cockpits. In future updates, Yoyo and other members of the development team will provide greater details about the various features.

Thanks,
Matt

More news to the front

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:26 pm
Expert Member
Expert Member

Nueva noticia de Wags, para los Backers, está disponible el manual temprano del Fw-190D-9 y una actualización de estado muy interesante (no solo de WW2 sino lo que se mueva en DCS: W) ;)
aqui: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125454
More news to the front

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:59 pm
Expert Member
Expert Member

Update de Julio WW2 update:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2 ... ostcount=1
Dear all,

In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable. However, the restructured system still provides an excellent value for your backing contribution. For example: each aircraft will retail at $49.99; however, you will receive the item instead at only $20.00. This is in addition to other items such as the Normandy map ($20 contribution and above) and other perks as the backing contribution level rises.

We also feel this new system dramatically reduces the chance of reward delivery confusion and delays.

As software deliverables (aircraft and map keys) are ready for release, keys will be sent to backers based on their contribution level. Physical items like shirts, hats, etc. will be sent when the entire DCS: World War II: Europe 1944 project is complete per deliverable items stated in the rewards list at the bottom of this update.

Per the update last week, we are pushing hard to deliver the originally planned aircraft and assets as fast as we can. Because we have additional staff assigned to this effort, this will accelerate the process and dramatically lessen the impact on our other projects (insert: “where is my Hornet?!” comments).

Our ultimate goal is to create a unique battlefield environment within DCS World that is specifically tailored to Second World War air combat. This is a combination of the period aircraft, maps, navigation, communications, and objects that creates a total experience. DCS World is designed to encompass multiple time period and locations, and we see this as a keystone endeavor for just one slice of DCS World.

As each part of DCS: World War II: Europe 1944 is created (aircraft and map), we will release it as a unique DCS World module (like we are currently preparing DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora for). Backers will get each part based on their contribution level. When all the pieces are done, we will create a bundle package that puts them all together in a single download / boxed purchase. In other words, there will be no separate installation that runs outside of DCS World. That would defeat the primary goal of DCS World.

As we get closer to the launch of DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora in August 2014, we are working on a mechanism to provide an Alpha copy to $40 and up contributors.

DCS World War II: Europe 1944 Backer Rewards:

$1-19
Bronze Backer credit in manuals

$20
DCS: P-51D Mustang and print-ready PDF manual
Normandy Map

$40
DCS: P-51D Mustang and print-ready PDF manual
Normandy Map
DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora, Alpha access, and print-ready PDF manual